Andy, Kaysey & the Little Men

Monday, May 24, 2010

Too Worried to Enjoy Sleep

Last week Luke did something for the very first time.....he slept through the night - yes, the ENTIRE night!! My mom and I had tickets to the show on Thursday so Andy was on baby duty for the evening. When I got home Luke had already been put to bed (around 9pm). This was a little earlier than his 'normal' bedtime so I knew for sure it was going to be a long night. I went to bed almost dreading waking up. At about 3:30am I woke up in a panic - Luke was still asleep. I laid there for a bit and then convinced myself that I needed to check on him. I did not check on him when I got home so I figured I would feel better to know that he was still breathing. I went upstairs, sneaked into his room, and touched his hand - ICE cold. CRAP! My heart was pounding. I then proceeded to touch his face - warm, and then a stir. I immediately pulled back and got out of there before he woke up. When I got back in bed I could not go back to sleep. I spent my time worrying about him breathing and worrying that the minute I fell back asleep that he would wake up and I would be miserable. I got myself so worked up that I woke up Andy and asked him to check on Luke. To sum up the night, I did not sleep until Luke woke up at 6:00am - Yes, he slept 9 hours!! Luke was perfectly rested and I had wasted my first opportunity in 10 weeks to sleep all night long.......BUMMER!

On the bright side, Luke has since slept another night from start to finish without waking up. I, of course, woke up, but did not get out of bed to check on him. I fell back asleep and believe it or not, Luke was alive in the morning!!! I have a feeling that he should be getting the hang of this sleep thing here in the next couple of weeks. I know enough not to get too excited just yet, but you better believe that I have faith in my little man!!


Amazed that a good night's sleep could be so exhausting for a mom,
Kays

No comments:

Post a Comment