Luke and I worked really well together today and I wanted to share our accomplishment. Up until now I have only showered when Luke has been asleep or with his daddy. Today, however, was different. Andy went back to work and I needed to get ready on my own. Luke was not sleepy at all (to be honest, he isn't a sleepy kid period) so I had to figure this thing out all on my own. I was able to put him in his bouncer in the bathroom with me while I showered and got ready. He just looked around (I think he enjoyed the new scenery) and didn't cry one time -- hallelujah!!! This marks a new beginning for us....So now that Luke is 5 weeks old I have had some time to reflect on what I have learned over the past 5 weeks of parenthood. Here are the first five things that came to my mind:
1. Being a Mom isn't easy - I didn't necessarily think it would be easy, but I did not give moms the full credit they deserve -- thanks mom!! I also want to give a shout out to Michelle Duggar, wow!
2. I can get by on a lot less sleep than I thought - Everyone tells you that you will be tired and to get all the sleep you can before the baby comes, but you cannot fully understand what they mean until you have done it yourself. The good news is that just when I thought I couldn't get any more tired Luke began to sleep a tad bit longer and it has been steadily getting better ever since -- isn't God good!!
3. It's amazing the things you will do for your own child - Luke is NOT a pooper, in fact he has been constipated the majority of his short little life (so sad). Andy and I found ourselves one morning singing a song about glycerin suppositories, pushing, and pooping -- we've gone mad!! No really, I would go to the ends of the earth for Luke even if it means getting pooped on, pee-ed on, puked on....you get the picture. In our house we celebrate poops, burps, and pees -- who knew excrements would get so much praise!
4. My baby loves me for me - I really struggled with the fact that I could not feed my baby a full meal. It was MY plan to exclusively breastfeed for the first 4-6 weeks and MY plan to continue to breastfeed for the first year. God quickly showed me that He is the one in control and that He has a plan for my family. I have learned and accepted that my baby loves me for me. Luke does not judge me because he eats formula. He loves me because I am his mom and nothing else -- it is the most wonderful feeling I have ever felt.
5. I would do it all over again - I love being a mom! Knowing what I know now (from the discomforts of pregnancy to sleepless nights to the post-partum pain that no one tells you about) I would absolutely do it all over again. Luke is the greatest blessing I could have ever received and I am thankful God allowed this precious miracle to become a part of our lives.
I love my little boy,
Kays
No comments:
Post a Comment