Andy, Kaysey & the Little Men

Friday, March 5, 2010

Mango Slicer - Deal or Dud?

I thought I would break up the monotony of pregnancy related blogs to talk about the mango slicer. This is a new gadget my mom bought for me a few months ago and today was the first time it was used in the Cloud household.

I should first tell you about my love/hate relationship with the mango. I was first introduced to the mango when I was a child at Christina's house (~9-11 years of age). It was a new and exotic fruit that I never even knew existed and since we didn't get mangos at the Lowery household my love for the mango began....

Then I entered into adulthood and decided that I should start buying mangos. Turns out that this is when my hatred for the mango began. I never realized just how difficult it was to slice a mango and optimize the amount of fruit available to eat. They have this huge pit in the middle, they are slippery and juicy, and....well, you get the point. I never realized the talent that it took to slice one of those things - I am sorry Elena for not appreciating or recognizing your talent all those years ago. So now, for the past 8-10 years I have been avoiding the mango all together.....UNTIL NOW!!

Andy was nice and picked up a few mangos at the store yesterday as a treat while I am on bed rest and I had one with breakfast today for the first time in years. Andy was able to slice the mango with the mango slicer and I had 4 full pieces of mango to eat - BEAUTIFUL! The slices were perfect and he said that minimal mango was lost to the pit. Can you believe it? It was that easy (or easy for Andy since I haven't actually used it yet) - all those years spent avoiding that exotic fruit that I fell in love with so many years ago......my heart is still warm thinking about it!!

So long story short, if you love mangos then you need a mango slicer - it is definitely a DEAL. It ranks up there with the apple slicer and the beloved pineapple slicer and now will be a MVP of my kitchen.

I love you mango slicer,
Kays

1 comment: